Horse Gram or Kollu Paruppu Chutney and Rasam
Horse gram or kollu paruppu is a healthy bean and good source of protein and iron. It has lots of health benefits such as reducing cholesterol,helps in weight reduction and remedy for cold and cough.
- Kollu or horse gram dhal – 1 cup
- Onion -1 cup (chopped)
- Tomato -1
- Cuming seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pepper – 1tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Red chilli Powder-1 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 1tbsp
- Tamarind extract – 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds -1 tbsp
- Hing- a pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Clean and remove stones from horse gram. Wash it and pressure cook the horse gram with 3 cups of water for 4 whistle.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds,pepper seeds, chopped onion, curry leaves, tomatoes,garlic and fry it for few mins in a medium flame.
- Add the cooked horse gram with cooked water,red chilli powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder,salt and 1cup of water and bring to boil for 10 mins at medium flame.Then turnoff.
- Drain the water from the kollu dal and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a another pan,add mustard seeds and hing .After it splutters,add the kollu water and tamarind water.When it starts boiling ,turn off the stove.Now kollu rasam is ready to serve.
- Leave the kollu dal to cool little bit and grind it well.(Adjust the salt level)
- Now kollu chutney is ready to serve.
- Serve the kollu chutney and kollu rasam with hot rice.